Thursday, January 18, 2018

Login to your account

Username *
Password *
Remember Me

Create an account

Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
Name *
Username *
Password *
Verify password *
Email *
Verify email *
Captcha *
Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Downwind 360

The Downwind 360 4 months 4 weeks ago #1

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
I feel it's time now. Gotta keep the challenge up!
So far I'm nowhere on this. Tried it couple of times yesterday on Wolf unsuccessfully and because I was on my 110/6.5 I blamed it on the kit. Basically I started it like I start a carve jibe with my foot on the leeward rail but laid the sail way down and carved until the board slowed and then there was no chance of lifting the sail up so I just dropped on top of it and went to sleep :lol: I never felt the sail getting backwinded. Maybe my speed was not fast enough and the carve stopped too soon, but I also did some mistakes as I understand after reading Jem Hall's article and watching the Getwindsurfing video:
www.windsurf.co.uk/jam-hall-move-on-up-carving-360/

Next time I need to do better!

The Downwind 360 4 months 4 weeks ago #2

Can you do it not strapped in? It's easier if you take your foot out of the strap as you slow down and use it to push the board. I get back winded a lot but usually can do it in couple tries. For me to be successful I have to do the following:
1. Really bear away before you start carving
2. Dig the foot of the sail into your shin. It has to go way back.
3. Look at the top of the mast as you are carving.

It's good fun, keep on trying. Good place to try is The Wall. (I know you don't like it there)

The Downwind 360 4 months 4 weeks ago #3

I have my C360s dialed in on port tack. I can do them front foot out of straps (360s) on both tacks.

It is my favorite move in high wind. I can and like to do them in overpowered conditions. Keep it up! It feels awesome.

I agree it is best to learn the 360 (with the front foot in front of the mast) first. It helps a lot if you can comfortably sail backwinded in light wind. LWF does make it better! That way with the 360 you are in a similar place over the board at the important transition time.

For the C360, the key I feel is full power speed and commitment with the sail raked back. The rig transition is quicker and more committed as well, but if you have your 360s down, you know when you have carved enough to go for it.

ScreenShot2017-08-19at8.16.40AM.png

Again, the cool part about C360s is the full power Gs you feel in the carve and the ability to lay the rig down and commit. Like a full power gybe, but you get to feel that wonderful feeling longer-and I think it looks stylish because you are committed.

The Downwind 360 4 months 4 weeks ago #4

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
And something fun to do between turns. I actually tried it with my back foot out/ front foot strapped in-like a jibe. I didn't even know that you can do it in the straps until I read the article . The mistakes that I can pinpoint right now are: not raking the sail back and waiting too long to get my front foot out of the strap and start the backwinded phase. I may have also committed too much , layed it down too low for the moderate wind conditions like I do many times when Heli tacking. Bearing away longer to gain more speed like Stefan recommends makes sense too. I didn't prepare theoretically beforehand at all, the idea came to me out of nowhere right there on the lake.
Awesome picture btw Mark!

The Downwind 360 6 days 2 hours ago #5

• Ady
  • Hurricane Force
79DBCAD3-FB36-475D-8C6F-10A53BD24FB4.jpeg

New Years resolutions :whistle: I didn’t follow up on it last year, got distracted as usual, but I intend to focus on the move this season. People are doing it on the exactly the same board /in the picture/ like mine, so no excuses.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds